Saturday, August 23, 2008

Toffee

1 C butter
1 C sugar
1/4 C water

Stir everything together over medium to med/high heat with a wooden spoon. Stir constantly, scraping bottom of pan. If candy starts to brown more quickly than you can stir, turn down the temperature. Once the candy starts to get frothy and the right color, pour onto a greased marble slab (or marble counter top) to cool.

I've never made this using a thermometer. I just judge it by the color. The lighter the color, the softer the toffee. I tend to like mine on the softer and crumbly side, but if you just cook it longer, you can get it much darker/harder without burning it.

1 comment:

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

This recipe is in my messy little yellow recipe book. Pat Rodgers taught me how to make it and then gave me the marble slab as well. Everytime I make it, I think of her.
I especially like it when it is a couple of weeks old and has absorbed some humidity and gotten crumbly again.
And, yes, I knew you were all "picking" at the scraps when I'd leave it cooling on the counter.