Saturday, August 23, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients:
1/2 C diced onion
2 Tbsp butter
1 (8 oz) can diced green chilis (though I often double it-- we like it spicier)
1 package (8 oz?) cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp cumin
4 C chopped, cooked chicken

flour tortillas

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 C sour cream
1 C milk
3/4 C shredded cheese

Sautee onion in butter over medium heat till browned. Stir in 1 Tbsp green chilis (I add one can).
Combine cream cheese, 2 Tbsp milk, cumin. Stir in chicken and the onion/chili mix.
Spoon 3 Tbsp mix in each tortilla and roll. Place in baking dish
Combine remaining chilis, soup, sour cream, 1 C milk. Mix well and spoon over enchiladas.
Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 35 min. Remove foil, sprinkle on cheese, bake until cheese melts.

I mess with this recipe a lot. Sometimes I add chili powder to the chicken mix, sometimes some of the soup to the mix. Sometimes I squirt some ranch dressing into the sauce if I don't have any sour cream. I've used plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Sometimes we make 1/2 the sauce and pour it over the enchiladas and THEN we pour a can of green enchilada sauce over the top. We're not too strict on the amount of chicken either. I usually use 3-4 breasts to one package of cream cheese. Also, I sometimes cook a bunch of chicken breasts and then freeze them to use in recipes like this or chicken salad to cut down on prep time, but I think they taste better fresh.

2 comments:

Rebecca Holt Stay said...

The original version of this came from Aunt Diana Holt, from Tucson, AZ. I think we ate this one night when we visited their house the summer of 1984. I was pregnant with Heather at the time, so she has been eating enchiladas her whole life.

tpmotd said...

I recommend adding tomatoes and lettuce to your shopping list for this one, since you might want to chop them and put them on top.