Saturday, August 23, 2008

Thai Coconut Shrimp

2 Tbsp peanut oil
1 lb shrimp
1 lb zucchini, cubed
1 red pepper, cubed
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (I checked the can I had and it's GF)
juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce (omit to get lose MSG)
1 1/2 tsp chili paste (add fresh chilis, use chili powder, or omit for GF)
1-2 tsp dried basil

At medium-high heat
1) Sautee the shrimp in 1 Tbsp oil until they're just pink, but not fully cooked. Set aside
2) Add zucchini, red pepper, and remaining oil to pan and cook until soft, about 4 mins.
3) Add ginger, cook for 30 seconds
4) Add coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, and chili paste. Stir to dissolve chili paste.
5) Turn to medium heat, add shrimp, and cook until sauce thickens.
5) Serve over jasmine rice.

* The actual recipe calls for 3 Tbsp lime juice. We've made this three times and gone from 3, to 2, to 1 Tbsp of juice. I thinks it's too acidic with more, but you could try it out.
The recipe also calls for fresh basil, but I never have on hand nor buy fresh basil, so I don't know how much the recipe calls for. What I wrote is how much dried basil I use. You could mess with that too.
We've added green pepper and onion on occasion to this recipe as well. But I like the original veggies the best.

No comments: