Saturday, November 27, 2021

Sour Cream Raisin Pie

I grew up having this pie for Thanksgiving every year. My Dads' mom made it every year as well. 


1       cup raisins                             

3/4     cup sugar                               

1       cup sour cream                      

3       Tbsp. corn starch                    

2      eggs separated

1     tsp vanilla

1     Tbsp butter

1/2   tsp salt

Add sugar to raisins in a sauce pan.  Barely cover with water and simmer until tender, (it just takes a few minutes).  Add sour cream and bring to a boil.  Thicken with cornstarch that is thinned with cream ( my grandma used cream, my mom used milk so pick which you prefer. I usually use milk).  Add egg yolks and cook 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and add vanilla, butter and salt.  Cool.  Pour into a baked shell.  Cover with meringue. 

I grew up with French meringue. I never liked it, but this year I tried a Swiss meringue and it was amazing. Next year I might try an Italian meringue. 

Here's the Swiss meringue recipe. 

4 large eggs, whites only
200g of caster sugar (I used regular sugar because that's what I had at the time)
1 pinch of salt

Bring a pan of water to a gentle simmer

Combine the egg whites and sugar in a metal or glass bowl and place over a pan of water. Gently whisk until the sugar has dissolved or a temperature probe reads 80°C (about 8 minutes). If you don't have a thermometer, you can pinch some of the mixture between your fingers, if you can still feel grains of sugar, it needs a little longer

Remove the bowl from a heat and either transfer to a stand mixer with whisk attachment or use an electric whisk on medium setting to whip up the egg whites into a thick, glossy Swiss meringue

The meringue is now ready to transfer to a piping bag to make it easier to use

No comments: