Sunday, July 25, 2010

Classic Humus from McCormick Spice

I'm lifting this recipe directly from McCormick's Page. I think it's also printed on the large Cumin bottle. I hope they don't mind.



Keep a can of chickpeas in your pantry for when you have unexpected guests. You can easily prepare hummus, a Middle Eastern chickpea dip.

Makes 10 (2-tablespoon) servings.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas
  • 1 tablespoon McCormick® California Style Minced Garlic made from Fresh Garlic (I didn't have garlic, so I used a tsp of Garlic Salt instead)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cumin, Ground
  • 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Crushed or 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Ground (I used Cayenne Pepper, because it was the only red pepper I had. It turned out a bit spicier than I wanted (though certainly nott terribly hot), so next time I'll use less.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (I left this out because I used Garlic Salt above)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Garnishes such as chopped green onions, chopped olives and chopped tomato (optional)


DIRECTIONS
  1. Drain chickpeas, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid. Place chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper and salt in food processor; cover. Process until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add reserved liquid; process until smooth.


  2. Spoon hummus into serving bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with toppings as desired. Serve with pita chips or warm pita wedges. Store hummus in airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days. (I put the oil in the blender with everything else, since I don't like to see or feel the fat in my foods (though I do like to taste small amounts). I served it with torn up tortillas, though it's also good if you spread it on a tortilla or some other flatbread and roll it up)


Tips
Test Kitchen Tip: Prepare as directed, substituting 2 teaspoons McCormick® Garlic Powder for the Minced Garlic. Add 1/3 cup reserved chickpea liquid.

Tahini Hummus: Stir in 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste).

Bruschetta with Hummus and Roasted Red Pepper: Spread Bruschetta Toasts with hummus. Top each with a shaving of Manchego cheese and a strip of roasted red pepper.


NUTRITION INFORMATION
per serving
Calories: 38
Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 120 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 1 g

No comments: